Thursday, September 17, 2009

A day in our life

The week so far ...
We have a couple of regular activities (ballet, gymnastics, homeschool meets), but the rest of our days are 'freestyle'.  I'll write about my approach to homeschooling another day.  The past 7 days have been busy.  We had a big shopping trip, dinner guests, a morning at the beach, church, a homeschool excursion, ballet, library, gymnastics.  Plus I was unwell and the kids took turns feeling sick or tired.  SO yesterday Miss J. (4) and Mr E. (5)  had a pyjama and play day (although they decided to get dressed eventually).  I used the time to sort out J's toys and clothes and set up this blog.

Today ... fun Friday!

5am - When P. gets up for work I normally stay asleep, but today J. wakes up and climbs in with me for a snuggle.  Eventually she goes back to sleep.
6:30 - E. climbs in next to me wide awake, and we whisper so J. can sleep.  E. talks about motorbikes and we say 10 things we love about each other.  My heart melts.
7am - J. wakes and wants to read the pile of books on my bedside table.  I open one and show her some words she recognises, then read her a paragraph.  I keep reading after she drifts away.  It's a novel about a pioneer teacher in America, married to an Indian ... the kids ask, beg and order me to get up.  J. 'plays' the keyboard.  They have juice and cereal while I drink peppermint green tea.

7:30 - Kids watch cartoons - Eloise, Curious George, Charlie and Lola, Roary the racing car.  While ABC babysits, I enjoy a shower, search my top shelf for summer clothes, get dressed, check email, put a load of washing in the machine.
8:30 - J. helps me make pancakes, E. watches me write a to do list.  Both stand on chairs and watch me cook them.  We eat ... yum!
9:15 - Kids brush teeth, make beds and dress while I help and chat with them.  E. plays the drums on keyboard while I wash the dishes and realise how loud a real drum kit (which I've agreed to buy) will be!  J. has brushed her hair (hooray) but has also used the conditioning spray on her teddy dog and unicorn and is brushing their fur.

10am - Kids watch ABC programs - Count us in, Behind the News (it's ok today) and Science Clips (electricity - current and voltage).  E. is absorbed in the show.  J. starts to play with dolls and look at books (singing about what she sees).  I write this blog entry so far and decide to let them watch one more show, 'Designers' about icecream production.

11am - We go out the back.  I peg the washing while the kids play in the cubby house, on the swing and various toys with wheels.  I wage war on ants (sorry green friends ... I love nature generally but ants bother me greatly, especially big biting ones).  Sweeping the pavers I almost hit a blue-tongue lizard.  My actions, squeal and the kids' stampede to see don't scare the lizard away as is usually the case.  I'm scared it will think I'm a tree and climb me.  We talk about a reptile show we saw a few months ago, and try to decide whether our lizard is male or female.  I finish sweeping, cautiously watching the lizard, which basks lazily.
11:30 - Out of necessity, we bake bread for the first time this year.  I have chosen an Aussie Damper recipe from the internet, and the kids take turns measuring and mixing the ingredients.  Then we divide the lump in half, and they knead then make various bread roll shapes.  While I clean the bench and floor, the kids watch the lizard and play.
12:30 - Rather late, we take time to pray.  The bread is cooked and we eat it hot.  We decide that we'll have to do this more often!  Before the kids escape, we play a game to review the 'ar' phonogram from a few weeks ago.  I get down the 'ar' jar (a jar full of word cards like start, ark, farm, marshmallow), and put 4 cards face up on the table.  I say a clue (eg. Noah built one for the animals) and the kids race to pick up the right card to answer me.  Each time they claim a card, I replace it with another from the jar, so there are always 4 to choose from.  E. isn't concentrating but J. surprises me with her many correct choices.
1pm - E. and J. are in their favourite spot, on their foldout lounges in the cubby house (it's a home made fort on stilts with a brush-screen roof for shade, and 2 walls of brush screen to enclose a corner).  I'm at the computer.  When their chatter goes quiet, I spy to see if they're up to mischief (usually involving water), but they have only hooked the dolly stroller into the swing and are playing nicely.
1:30 - E. and J. dig in the gravel out the back.  I finally have a chance to put on my makeup.  Then my mission is to find the swimming gear.  Tomorrow we are going to the heated pool for the first time this season.  
2pm - The kids have found me and tried on their swimsuits, which still fit.  I set up playdough for J., while E. does a test on Mathletics (he wants the points to make his rocket reach the top).  He does it twice.  Then J. does a phonics game on Intrepica and E. plays a farm game involving his toy tractor and playdough.

2:45 - P. arrives home from work.  The kids have a snack and sit down to watch playschool.
3:30 - I go out alone, grocery shopping to restock the house for the weekend and week to come.  While I'm out P. watches the kids ride their scooters on the front footpath and they fold and put away todays washing :)

6pm - We all unload the car and all help put the shopping away.  
6:30 - Dinner is usually earlier.  We have leftover spaghetti, but J. ends up eating cereal for dinner again (little miss fussy).  E. has icecream for dessert.
7pm - I call Uncle M. to plan tomorrow's pool adventure.  E. and J. chat and giggle on the phone.  Then teeth are brushed, pyjamas put on.  We snuggle on the lounge and I read a few library books.  P. has disappeared to get the beds ready (have a rest).  E. and J. tiptoe in to surprise him, have a rumble, then we divide and conquer for prayer and goodnight hugs.  We swap kids, say goodnight again.  
8pm - I type this blog post and try to get back my 'Comments' button. We send both kids back to bed a couple of times.  
8:30pm - The kids are asleep.  We ran late, but it's been more peaceful than last night (both had trouble falling asleep, listened to 2 CD stories each and needed lots of settling).  P. is watching footy.  Finally I finish this and wonder whether to publish it.  

Might as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you like to write a comment?